What basically amounts to a re-texture, I’m trying to maximize the amount of copy-paste I do when it comes to the models for now.
I have the basic form for all of Reimu’s Stage 4 midboss fight, I’ll work on making it not undodgeable sometime later. I want to work on the rest of the GUI first. It just doesn’t look as good as I plan it will when I make a sketch of a menu and translate it into something digital on Gimp.
Also, just realized you can scroll to change the tile resolution in Dwarf Fortress. Wow, oh wow. Some poor wood burner who JUST migrated in went and locked himself in one of my craft workshops. What does a wood burner even ask for? I know he’s going to ask for some craft items, but I wonder if dwarves can lock themselves in furnaces or stills. I’ve never seen it, but I’m sure someone has. Heard a story about a bunch of dwarves killing each other after a loyalty cascade, and the dwarves left appended the dead dwarves’ last names to theirs. Holy shit.
Progress is kind of pitifully slow…
It doesn’t help that I recently started playing Persona 3 on the PC, hopefully I can keep myself from finishing it. At least for now.
Finally sorted out that massive slowdown issue, and performance is up to a passable state. I was adding things to the scene on every update because I got sloppy and forgot to think about where I was putting things. Made collisions with the bullets go over smoother, I wasn’t removing them correctly. It seems I can comfortably have about 3000 bullets out. I was really frustrated before when things would grind to a halt with 300-400 bullets, but everything seems fine now.
You can see the ‘bullet shadow’ I’m making by just sitting there.
The code to make this happen is still awful. Don’t want to talk about it
Suddenly it became really interesting to think about how the bullet patterns in existing STGs are created, and the exact functions that would create the forms you see. I’m sticking with sine, cosine, and exponential functions for now. I still have bullet tracking to do, but I’ve done that in an Asteroids clone I made, so I’m not too worried about how that will work.
I was reading on the web about how many games never get finished, and I see it myself a lot while browsing through random forums. I have so many ideas that I’ve been thinking up of lately (I really want to make a game about trading and having a world with some economics system), but I’ve doubled my resolve to finish this first.. whenever that will be. Right now it feels like I never will, hah.
All night hoping for a breakthrough in my animation skills, but I just can’t seem to get something natural, or at least something on the level of “this is acceptable.” I’m close to just settling with the 3-keyframe animations I made. Solutions to making the animation quality less appalling: play the animations slowly, and put the models far, far away from the camera.
I guess the order for tomorrow is cleaning up the menus and adding transitions between game states.
Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn’t have bothered posting today anyway. Progress is frustratingly slow, especially with all that school’s throwing at me.
I don’t know how anything is animated without motion capture. Rigging itself looks like an art, I just went through some leg rigging tutorials and came across some crazy face rigs. I hear some people are playing around with the Kinect to get some motion capture done, but I’m not to fond of the idea of buying it.
Spent most of the time I wasn’t in class today cleaning up some of the trig problems in my code. I had the boss start out at the origin (0,0,0) and things were fine until I realized some of my methods didn’t work correctly when the source of the bullets weren’t at (0,0,0). Another problem was that radial player movement around the origin wasn’t completely working either, but that was easy to sort out.
I’m sort of worried about the number of bullets. I haven’t put anything that removes the bullets that are too far away from the scene, but so far I haven’t dipped below 55 FPS with several hundreds of bullets still in view. I guess it’ll be fine, as long as I wipe them in between cards or something.
The greater part of my free time today was spent on trying to animate the models. Every time I animate something I end up throwing it all out because I don’t like how it turns out. I’m keeping what I made for now, though; 5 simple 31 frame loops for stationary, and four directions for movement. For intermediate directions I’ll just rotate the model. I’m using with JMonkeyEngine, (http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/) and there’s something really confusing going on with handling animations. It’s probably because up until now I haven’t bothered looking into what happens outside of my own code. The result is that I can get a test program running with all of the animations playing properly and bound to keys, but I can’t paste the exact same code into the game, somehow. Hopefully I’ll get it fixed tomorrow.
Slowly chugging away on my 3D IN clone, I still have all placeholder graphics, but I’ll get there… eventually. I’m going to stop working on bullet patterns and try to put out more art for the game. Looking at floating grids on grids can get disheartening, even with the bloom turned up.
Since this is the first post about it, I suppose I should explain the game idea here. The general idea is IN Extra stage but reversed. The player character is 藤原 妹紅, and you have to go through all of the teams from IN as bosses (博麗 霊夢/八雲 紫, 霧雨 魔理沙/アリス・マーガトロイド, 十六夜 咲夜/レミリア・スカーレット, 魂魄 妖夢/西行寺 幽々子).
It’s really just an exercise in making games, so I’m not really that interested in the art, music, or gameplay; the aim is to just have something that works. The stage is radial, with the boss at the center and the player character moving in a circle around the boss. You don’t shoot normal shots; you just graze until you fill a meter, which allows you to start a spellcard of your own.